April 22nd is International Mother Earth Day!
It is a day to recognize the critical role that the planet plays in our lives. This day helps us to remember the massive importance of protecting the environment and preserving our natural resources for future generations.
The theme for International Mother Earth Day 2023 is “Restore Our Earth,” which shines a big ole bright light on the need for collective action to address the climate crisis and protect our planet from further harm.
Let’s talk about Mother Earth Day and how we can be better stewards to our planet!
The Significance of International Mother Earth Day
International Mother Earth Day was first established in 2009 by the United Nations General Assembly as a way to promote environmental awareness and encourage action to protect the planet. This day recognizes the interconnectedness of all living things and the critical role that the earth plays in sustaining life.
We truly are all connected and taking care of our planet is the very least we can do!
The theme for International Mother Earth Day changes every year, and it serves as a call to action for individuals and organizations to work together to address environmental issues. In the past few years, the focus has really been on addressing climate change, reducing waste, and promoting sustainable living.
Ways to Get Involved
There are so so many ways that you can get involved in International Mother Earth Day and make a difference in protecting our beautiful planet. Here are some simple but important ideas to get you started:
- Plant Trees and Gardens:
- Planting trees and gardens is a magnificent way to promote biodiversity and protect our natural resources. Trees absorb carbon dioxide (thank you trees) and other pollutants from the air and release oxygen, (which we need like vitally!) making them essential in the fight against climate change. Gardening also promotes sustainable living by reducing the need for food transportation and promoting healthy eating habits. Also, fresh tomatoes. YUM.
- Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle:
- Reducing waste is an essential part of protecting the environment. By reducing, reusing, and recycling, you can help conserve resources and reduce pollution. Some super simple things we can all do are using reusable shopping bags, water bottles, and containers, and recycling paper, plastic, and glass products. This is definitely not new news, but important nonetheless!
- Support Sustainable Businesses:
- Supporting sustainable businesses is another way to make a difference in protecting the environment. Look for companies that use sustainable materials, have recycling programs, and support environmental causes! By supporting these businesses, we are helping to promote a more sustainable economy and reduce environmental harm. Let’s reward those companies that are trying to do their part too!
- Conserve Energy:
- Reducing our energy consumption is an important part of protecting the environment. We can conserve energy by simply turning off lights and electronics when we’re not using them, using energy-efficient appliances, and taking public transportation or carpooling instead of driving alone. Added bonus if you live in a city? POV lane, baby!
- Volunteer with Environmental Organizations:
- Volunteering with environmental organizations is a great way to make a difference in protecting our planet. Loads of organizations are dedicated to promoting sustainability, reducing waste, and protecting natural resources. By volunteering with these organizations, we can help make a difference in our communities! Go us!
- Get Educated:
- Educating ourselves and others about environmental issues is an HUGE part of protecting our planet. Reading books, watching documentaries, and attending workshops and conferences. are awesome ways to learn about environmental issues. We can also spread awareness by talking to our friends and family, sharing articles on social media, and getting involved in local environmental organizations. Let’s do this thing!
International Mother Earth Day is an important reminder of our immense responsibility of protecting our planet. By just making little changes in our daily lives, we can all help to preserve the earth for future generations. And don’t we want that for our great-great-great-great grandbabies?