April 18th is National Animal Crackers Day, a fun and whimsical celebration honoring one of the most beloved snacks of all time, the animal cracker.
These sweet and crunchy treats have been a favorite of both children and adults for generations, and their iconic animal shapes have become a symbol of childhood nostalgia.
National Animal Crackers Day is a chance to indulge in this classic snack and to celebrate the joy and wonder of childhood.
A little Bit About Animal Crackers
A Brief History
Animal crackers were first introduced in the late 1800s by the National Biscuit Company, which later became Nabisco, which is now Snack Works.
These bite-sized crackers were shaped like different animals and were marketed as a fun and educational snack for children. The original box of animal crackers even featured a string that could be used to carry the box around like a miniature circus cage.
Animal crackers have become more than just a snack. They hold a special place in our hearts and memories, as many of us grew up eating them and associating them with happy childhood memories. The iconic animal shapes also hold cultural significance, as they have been featured in literature, film, and art. In fact, the famous American artist, Barnum Brown, was so inspired by animal crackers that he created a series of sculptures of the animals depicted on the crackers.
The Making of Animal Crackers
Animal crackers are made from a simple dough of flour, sugar, and butter, which is rolled out and cut into animal shapes. The dough is then baked until crispy and golden brown. While the original animal crackers were plain and unsweetened, modern versions are often flavored with vanilla or other sweeteners.
Animal Crackers in Popular Culture
Animal crackers have appeared in countless films, TV shows, and books over the years, cementing their place in popular culture. In the movie “The Wizard of Oz,” Dorothy Gale feeds animal crackers to the Cowardly Lion. In the children’s book “Goodnight Moon,” a bowl of animal crackers is featured on the bedside table. Animal crackers have even been the subject of a hit song by the band, The Unicorns.
Animal Crackers as a Snack
Animal crackers remain a popular snack for both children and adults. They are often included in children’s lunchboxes, and many adults enjoy them as a nostalgic treat. Animal crackers can be enjoyed on their own or paired with other snacks, such as cheese or fruit. They can also be used as a decorative element in desserts or as a topping for ice cream.
Celebrating National Animal Crackers Day
National Animal Crackers Day is a chance to celebrate this beloved snack and to indulge in some childhood nostalgia.
There are many ways to celebrate this day, such as hosting an animal cracker-themed party, baking animal cracker-inspired desserts, or simply enjoying a box of animal crackers with friends and family.
Animal crackers are a classic childhood snack that can bring joy to both children and adults alike. Here are some fun ways to celebrate this delicious holiday:
- Make animal cracker art
- Get creative and use the animal crackers to make fun and colorful art. You can use frosting or melted chocolate to stick them together and create animal shapes, or use them as decoration for cupcakes or cakes.
- Host an animal cracker tea party
- Invite friends over for a tea party and serve animal crackers on a fancy platter with tea and other treats. You can also encourage your guests to dress up in their best tea party attire.
- Take a trip to the zoo
- What better way to celebrate National Animal Crackers Day than by visiting some real animals at the zoo? Pack a bag of animal crackers to munch on during your visit.
- Have an animal cracker taste test
- Buy different brands and flavors of animal crackers and have a blind taste test with your family or friends. See if you can identify the different flavors and choose your favorite.
- Make animal cracker s’mores
- Replace graham crackers with animal crackers and use them to make s’mores over a campfire or grill. You can also try making them in the oven or microwave for a fun twist on a classic treat.
- Play animal cracker games
- Use animal crackers as game pieces and play games like checkers, tic-tac-toe, or even make up your own game.
- Donate animal crackers to a local animal shelter
- Spread the joy of animal crackers to furry friends in need by donating a bag or two to a local animal shelter.
No matter how you choose to celebrate National Animal Crackers Day, be sure to have fun and enjoy this delicious snack!
You can also share your love of animal crackers on social media using the hashtag #NationalAnimalCrackersDay.
National Animal Crackers Day is a fun and lighthearted celebration that allows us to indulge in some childhood nostalgia and appreciate the simple pleasures in life. Animal crackers have become more than just a snack – they hold a special place in our hearts and memories.
As we celebrate National Animal Crackers Day, let us remember the joy and wonder of childhood and the simple pleasures that bring us happiness.