A day exists where you can eat as much of your favorite food as you want. Learn more about this one-day holiday below.
When we found out this day existed, we were no less than ecstatic! When you spend your life really watching what you eat, it’s nice to have a day where you can shun all guilt and just have a day to enjoy all the foods you really love.
Let’s learn more about National Eat What You Want Day!
When Is National Eat What You Want Day?
What Is National Eat What You Want Day?
National Eat What You Want Day is a day that’s not your birthday or any other holiday where you might typically give yourself the freedom to eat special things. You always have a reason on those days.
Today is a day with NO reason. Where you and your friends and family can just eat the things you love just for the heck of it!
How much fun is that!
A Brief History Of National Eat What You Want Day
Unfortunately, there isn’t really any background on this national day, so we’ll just enjoy the fact that it exists and not worry about where it came from!
There are some days that are just for sheer enjoyment and we’ll assign this day as one of those days.
What is everyone going to be eating on National Eat What You Want Day?
Here is a list of some of the most popular foods in the U.S.:
- Potato Chips
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Burgers and fries
- Ice Cream
- Grilled Cheese
- Steak and Potatoes
- Fried Chicken
Tips for Enjoying National Eat What You Want Day
- Plan your menu ahead so you’re ready for this fun day.
- Invite a friend along to share in the celebration.
- Remember there’s no quilt allowed today.
How Can You Celebrate?
- Let your kids pick the menu today.
- Budget for eating out all day.
- Throw a party and let everyone bring their favorite dish to share.
Isn’t this day just encouraging binge eating?
That is a really good question, my friend. When we think about eating whatever we want, that doesn’t have to mean we eat as MUCH as we want. If you struggle with Binge Eating Disorder, you might choose to skip honoring this day.
Binge Eating Disorder can be a severe, life-threatening eating disorder. But, thankfully, there is help available.
Visit National Eating Disorders to read more about how you can get help if you need it.
How to get back on track on May 12
First, don’t worry about May 12th on May 11th. That’s the whole point of celebrating this day.
However, I know for some, straying from healthy eating habits can be a downward spiral. Part of a healthy lifestyle is developing the ability to have a day…one day where you can indulge and then get right back to it.
It might take some practice, but with awareness and compassion, you can go right back to eating a healthier diet on May 12.
Some Interesting Facts About Eating Habits
- The World Health Organization stated that at least 80 percent of all heart disease, stroke and Type 2 diabetes, and up to 40 percent of cancer could be prevented if people ate better, engaged in more physical activity and quit using tobacco.
- Limiting intake of free sugars to less than 10% of total energy intake (2, 7) is part of a healthy diet.
- Some 15% of U.S. adults say they have at least mild allergies to one or more foods and another 17% have intolerances to foods.
- Recent data shows that with adults ages 20 years and over, 34.2 percent overweight, 33.8 percent are obese and 5.7 percent are extremely obese.
- According to the World Health Organization, 80 percent of all cases of heart disease, stroke and Type 2 diabetes could be prevented if people ate healthier, were more physically active and stopped using tobacco
What other National Days are on May 11th?
- National Receptionist Day
- National Third Shift Workers Day
- National Education/School Nurse Day
- National Foam Rolling Day
- National Twilight Zone Day