April 15th is National Glazed Spiral Ham Day!
National Glazed Spiral Ham Day is dedicated to the delicious and juicy glazed spiral ham, which is a popular dish served at many holiday meals, including Easter and Christmas.
In this article, we will explore the history and significance of National Glazed Spiral Ham Day, how to celebrate it, and why it’s worth acknowledging.
The History of National Glazed Spiral Ham Day
The origin of National Glazed Spiral Ham Day is unclear, but it’s believed to have originated in the United States.
The holiday is celebrated on April 15th, which is typically around the time of the year when families start preparing for Easter and other spring holidays. Glazed spiral ham has been a popular dish for holiday meals for many years, and this day is dedicated to celebrating this delicious tradition.
Who invented Spiral Sliced Ham?
Spiral ham is a type of ham that is sliced in a spiral pattern, making it easier to serve and eat. It is a popular dish served at many holiday gatherings, including Easter and Christmas. While the exact origins of spiral ham are not clear, it is believed to have been first popularized in the United States in the mid-20th century.
One popular brand of spiral ham, HoneyBaked Ham, traces its roots back to 1957 when Harry J. Hoenselaar opened his first HoneyBaked Ham store in Detroit, Michigan. Hoenselaar had been experimenting with a new way to slice and glaze ham, and he eventually perfected his technique for creating the spiral ham that is now synonymous with his brand. The company’s website notes that Hoenselaar’s innovation was “a true breakthrough in the food industry” that “revolutionized the way people enjoy ham.”
Today, spiral ham is available from a variety of different manufacturers and is enjoyed by millions of people each year. While Harry J. Hoenselaar may not have been the first person to slice ham in a spiral pattern, he is widely credited with popularizing the technique and making it a staple of many holiday feasts.
The Significance of National Glazed Spiral Ham Day
National Glazed Spiral Ham Day is a day to celebrate food and family traditions. The glazed spiral ham is a staple at many holiday meals and has become a symbol of togetherness and celebration. It’s a time when families come together to enjoy a delicious meal and create memories that will last a lifetime.
In addition to its cultural significance, the glazed spiral ham is also a nutritious and delicious meal. It’s a good source of protein and is often served with vegetables, which makes it a well-rounded meal. National Glazed Spiral Ham Day provides an opportunity to celebrate this delicious and healthy dish.
How to Celebrate National Glazed Spiral Ham Day
Celebrating National Glazed Spiral Ham Day is easy and requires no special preparations or equipment. Here are some ideas for how to celebrate this fun holiday:
- Cook a Glazed Spiral Ham
- Celebrate National Glazed Spiral Ham Day by cooking a glazed spiral ham for your family or friends. You can find recipes online or at your local grocery store.
- Share Your Recipes
- If you have a secret recipe for glazed spiral ham, share it with your friends and family. You can even organize a recipe exchange and try out new recipes together.
- Host a Ham Dinner
- Invite your friends and family over for a ham dinner. Make it a potluck and ask everyone to bring their favorite side dish to share.
- Visit a Local Ham Shop
- Visit your local ham shop and pick up a delicious glazed spiral ham. You can also ask the staff for their favorite recipes and cooking tips.
10 things to serve with spiral ham
If you’re planning to serve spiral ham at your next gathering, here are 10 things you might consider serving alongside it:
- Scalloped Potatoes: Creamy, cheesy, and comforting, scalloped potatoes are the perfect side dish for spiral ham.
- Green Beans: Whether steamed, roasted, or sautéed, green beans make a colorful and healthy side dish that complements the rich flavor of the ham.
- Sweet Potato Casserole: Another classic holiday dish, sweet potato casserole is a sweet and savory side dish that pairs well with the salty flavor of the ham.
- Roasted Root Vegetables: Carrots, parsnips, and turnips are just a few of the root vegetables that can be roasted to perfection and served alongside spiral ham.
- Mashed Potatoes: Creamy, buttery, and comforting, mashed potatoes are a staple side dish that complements the ham’s rich flavor.
- Macaroni and Cheese: A kid-friendly classic, macaroni and cheese is a crowd-pleasing side dish that pairs well with spiral ham.
- Deviled Eggs: A traditional appetizer that can also be served as a side dish, deviled eggs are a tangy and flavorful addition to any holiday meal.
- Dinner Rolls: Soft, fluffy dinner rolls are the perfect accompaniment to spiral ham, soaking up any extra juices and providing a neutral backdrop to the main dish.
- Fruit Salad: A light and refreshing side dish, fruit salad is a great way to balance out the rich flavor of the ham and add some color to your meal.
- Cheesy Broccoli Casserole: Cheesy broccoli casserole is a delicious and healthy side dish that pairs well with spiral ham, providing a pop of green and a boost of nutrients.
National Glazed Spiral Ham Day is a fun and delicious holiday that celebrates food and family traditions. It’s a time to come together and enjoy a nutritious and tasty meal with loved ones.
Whether you’re cooking a ham dinner at home or visiting a local ham shop, there are many ways to celebrate this fun holiday. So, on April 15th, let’s raise a fork and celebrate National Glazed Spiral Ham Day!