April 26th is National Help a Horse Day!
This National Day is an effort to raise awareness about the plight of horses in need and encourage people to take action to help these magnificent animals.
It was first established in 2008 by the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) to draw attention to the alarming number of horses in the United States that are neglected, abused, or at risk of going to slaughter.
History of National Help a Horse Day
The ASPCA created National Help a Horse Day to commemorate the anniversary of the founding of the first horse protection organization in the United States, the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) in 1866.
This organization was created by Henry Bergh, who advocated for the humane treatment of all animals, including horses. Bergh’s work inspired the creation of many other animal welfare organizations in the United States, and his legacy continues to inspire animal lovers today.
Why Horses Need Our Help
Horses have played a huge part in the history of humanity, from transportation to agriculture to entertainment. Yet, despite their importance, horses are often neglected or mistreated. 😭
According to the ASPCA, there are an estimated 2 million horses in the United States that are in need of rescue, rehabilitation, or adoption.
There are many reasons why horses end up in need of help. Some are abandoned by their owners, (how awful!) while others are seized by law enforcement due to neglect or abuse. (even more awful!!!!)
Many horses are also at risk of going to slaughter, either because they are no longer useful to their owners or because they are bred specifically for the meat market.
And though we don’t have horse meat in the stores in America, when we lived in Switzerland, you could buy it in the grocery store. That was really surprising to me.
How You Can Help on National Help a Horse Day
National Help a Horse Day is a great opportunity to take action to help horses in need. Here are some ways that you can get involved:
- Donate to a horse rescue organization.
- There are many organizations that are dedicated to rescuing and rehabilitating horses, such as the ASPCA, The Humane Society of the United States, and The Equine Welfare Alliance. Consider making a donation to support their work.
- Volunteer at a local horse rescue.
- Many horse rescues rely on volunteers to help care for the horses, including feeding, grooming, and exercising them. Contact a local horse rescue to find out how you can help.
- Adopt a horse.
- If you have the space and resources to care for a horse, consider adopting one from a rescue organization. Adopting a horse not only provides a loving home for an animal in need, but it also helps to free up resources for other horses in need.
- Spread the word.
- National Help a Horse Day is all about raising awareness. Share information about the day on social media, talk to your friends and family about the importance of horse welfare, and encourage others to get involved.
National Help a Horse Day is a reminder that horses are an important part of our world and that they deserve our love, respect and care.
Whether you choose to donate, volunteer, adopt, or simply spread the word, there are many ways that you can make a difference in the lives of horses in need. By working together, we can help to create a world where horses are treated with the dignity and compassion that they deserve!