April 13th is National Scrabble Day!
National Scrabble Day is celebrated annually to commemorate the birthday of Alfred Mosher Butts, the inventor of the popular word game Scrabble.
It is a day when Scrabble enthusiasts from around the world come together to celebrate their love for the game, and to showcase their skills and knowledge. Scrabble is a game that challenges players to use their vocabulary, spelling, and strategic skills to form words on a board, earning points based on the letters used and their placement on the board.
History of National Scrabble Day
This day was first celebrated in 1982, on the 50th anniversary of the creation of Scrabble. The day was officially recognized by the National Scrabble Association, which is now known as the North American Scrabble Players Association (NASPA). The association was founded in 1978 to promote the game of Scrabble and to organize tournaments and events for players.
Since then, National Scrabble Day has grown in popularity and is now celebrated by Scrabble enthusiasts all over the world. The day is marked by various events, including tournaments, online competitions, and Scrabble-themed parties.
Celebrating National Scrabble Day
If you’re a Scrabble fan, there are many ways to celebrate! Here are a few ideas:
- Play a game of Scrabble with friends or family.
- This is a great way to spend time together and to sharpen your Scrabble skills.
- Join a local Scrabble club or attend a Scrabble tournament.
- This is a great way to meet other Scrabble enthusiasts and to test your skills against other players.
- Organize a Scrabble-themed party.
- You can decorate your home with Scrabble tiles, play Scrabble-themed games, and serve food and drinks inspired by the game.
- Watch a Scrabble-themed movie or documentary.
- There are many great movies and documentaries that showcase the history and culture of Scrabble, such as “Word Wars” and “Scrabylon”.
- Learn new words.
- Use National Scrabble Day as an opportunity to expand your vocabulary and learn new words. You can do this by reading books, playing online word games, or studying Scrabble word lists.
National Scrabble Day is a day to celebrate the game of Scrabble and its impact on language, culture, and education. Whether you’re a seasoned Scrabble player or a newcomer to the game, there are many ways to celebrate this special day.
From playing a game with friends to joining a tournament or studying new words, National Scrabble Day is a great opportunity to showcase your skills and to connect with other Scrabble enthusiasts from around the world.