April 21st is National Chickpea Day!
It’s a day to honor one of the most versatile and nutritious legumes in the world. Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are a staple in many diets and cuisines, and have been cultivated for thousands of years.
Chickpeas are a rich source of protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals, and are known for their ability to lower cholesterol, regulate blood sugar levels, and promote digestive health. They are also a great source of plant-based protein for vegans and vegetarians.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the history of National Chickpea Day, the health benefits of chickpeas, and some delicious ways to incorporate them into your diet.
The History of National Chickpea Day
National Chickpea Day was created by the HIPPEAS in 2019. The goal of this day is to raise awareness about the nutritional benefits of chickpeas, as well as their versatility in the kitchen.
Hippeas are a brand of organic chickpea puffs that are marketed as a healthier alternative to traditional snack foods like potato chips. They were first launched in the United Kingdom in 2016 and have since become popular in many countries, including the United States.
Hippeas are made from organic chickpeas that are cooked, ground into a flour, and then shaped into puffs. They are available in a variety of flavors, including Vegan White Cheddar, Sriracha Sunshine, Bohemian Barbecue, and Far Out Fajita.
One of the things that sets Hippeas apart from other snack foods is that they are marketed as being both good for you and good for the planet. They are certified organic, gluten-free, vegan, and non-GMO. Additionally, the company partners with Farm Africa, a charity that helps African farmers grow sustainable crops, and donates a portion of its profits to support the cause.
Overall, Hippeas offer a tasty and healthier alternative to traditional snack foods while also promoting sustainable agriculture and charitable giving.
The Health Benefits of Chickpeas
Chickpeas are packed with nutrients that can benefit your health in many ways. Here are just a few of the reasons why you should consider adding chickpeas to your diet:
- High in Protein
- Chickpeas are a great source of plant-based protein, with about 15 grams of protein per cup. This makes them an excellent choice for vegetarians and vegans who may not get enough protein from other sources.
- Rich in Fiber
- Chickpeas are also high in fiber, with about 12.5 grams of fiber per cup. This can help promote digestive health and keep you feeling full and satisfied.
- Lowers Cholesterol
- The fiber in chickpeas can also help lower cholesterol levels, which can reduce your risk of heart disease.
- Regulates Blood Sugar
- Chickpeas have a low glycemic index, which means they can help regulate blood sugar levels and prevent spikes in insulin.
- Rich in Vitamins and Minerals
- Chickpeas are a good source of vitamins and minerals, including iron, magnesium, and folate. These nutrients are important for maintaining good health and preventing disease.
Delicious Ideas for National Chickpea Day
There are many delicious ways to incorporate chickpeas into your diet. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Hummus is a classic Middle Eastern dip made from chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, and garlic. It’s a delicious and healthy snack that can be served with vegetables, pita bread, or crackers.
- Falafel is a popular Middle Eastern street food made from ground chickpeas, herbs, and spices. It’s often served in a pita with vegetables and tahini sauce.
- Chana Masala:
- Chana masala is an Indian dish made from chickpeas cooked in a spicy tomato-based sauce. It’s often served with rice or naan bread.
- Roasted Chickpeas:
- Roasted chickpeas are a great snack that can be seasoned with a variety of spices, such as paprika, cumin, or garlic powder. Simply toss chickpeas with olive oil and your favorite spices, then bake in the oven until crispy.
- Chickpea Salad:
- Chickpea salad is a healthy and refreshing dish that can be customized with your favorite vegetables and dressing. Try adding chopped cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions, and feta cheese to a bowl of chickpeas, then drizzle with a lemon vinaigrette.
- Chickpea Curry:
- Chickpea curry is a flavorful and satisfying dish that can be made with a variety of vegetables and spices. Try adding sweet potatoes, spinach, and coconut milk to a pot of cooked chickpeas, then simmer with curry powder and ginger for a delicious and hearty meal.
Incorporating chickpeas into your diet is easy and delicious, and can provide numerous health benefits. Whether you enjoy them in hummus, falafel, or curry, there are endless ways to enjoy this nutritious and versatile legume.
So why not celebrate National Chickpea Day by trying a new chickpea recipe today?