April 26th is National Kids and Pets Day!
What a great day to recognize and honor the special bond between children and their pets. Pets are not only great companions, but they also teach children valuable life skills such as responsibility, empathy, and compassion.
I personally think it’s really important for children to grow up with pets and we made sure to give our boys that amazing experience. When they were growing up, we had a huge black lab, HotShot, and a beautiful Siamese looking cat, Cookie.
A few years ago, we added two kittens, Sylvie and Agi to the mix. They have brought us so much joy and have instilled in our kids a great love and appreciation for animals! It’s gives me so much joy to watch our grown, adult male children love on our sweet kitties. It’s heart-melting!
History of National Kids and Pets Day
National Kids and Pets Day was founded in 2005 by Colleen Paige, an animal advocate and celebrity pet lifestyle expert. The day was created to encourage families to adopt pets and to raise awareness about the benefits of pets for children.
The amazing Benefits of Children Growing up with Pets
Growing up with pets can have so many incredible benefits for children, both physical and emotional. Here are just a few of the benefits that children can experience from having a pet:
- Increased empathy and compassion
- Caring for a pet can teach children empathy and compassion as they learn to understand and respond to the needs of their furry friend.
- Improved social skills
- Pets can help children develop social skills as they interact with others who share a common interest in animals.
- Reduced stress and anxiety
- Spending time with a pet can help reduce stress and anxiety in both children and adults.
- Increased physical activity
- Taking a pet for a walk or playing with them can encourage children to be more physically active.
- Boosted self-esteem
- Taking care of a pet and watching them thrive can boost a child’s self-esteem and confidence.
Truly, it’s really hard for me to imagine a world where it’s not a great idea for children to have pets to love and care for. But that’s the kicker… LOVE AND CARE FOR! Right???
Fun Ideas for Celebrating National Kids and Pets Day
- Adopt a pet
- National Kids and Pets Day is the perfect time to adopt a new furry friend. You can visit a local animal shelter or rescue organization to find a pet that’s the perfect fit for your family.
- Volunteer at a shelter
- If you’re not able to adopt a pet, consider volunteering at a local animal shelter or rescue organization. You can help care for animals, clean cages, and assist with adoptions.
- Have a pet-themed party
- Host a pet-themed party for your children and their friends. You can decorate with animal-themed decorations, serve pet-friendly snacks, and play animal-themed games.
- Teach your child about pet care
- Use National Kids and Pets Day as an opportunity to teach your child about responsible pet care. You can show them how to properly feed and groom a pet, as well as the importance of regular veterinary check-ups.
- Take a pet-friendly vacation
- If you’re planning a family vacation, consider taking your pet along with you. Many hotels and vacation rentals are pet-friendly, so you can enjoy a fun and relaxing trip with your furry friend.
National Kids and Pets Day is a special day to celebrate the bond between children and their pets. Remember, pets are not only great companions, but they also help teach children valuable life skills and provide a lifetime of love and companionship.
If you don’t have a pet, or can’t add one to your family, support your local shelter with a donation of food, bedding or better yet, a financial contribution.
Happy National Kids and Pets Day!